Friday, November 5, 2010

The Seedy Seeds- Count the Days (2008)


Take one banjo, a strand of Christmas lights, some electronic beats, two awesome beards, and a Tina Fey lookalike and you get the foundation of The Seedy Seeds, an indie-folk-pop band from Cincinnati, Ohio. I discovered The Seedy Seeds when I saw them play a show at a record store in the fall of 2009 and I wasn't quite sure what to think at first. There were some sort of synthesized beats coming from somewhere I couldn't see. Their drummer used a very minimal set wrapped in Christmas lights that flashed every time he hit a drum or symbol. One of their singers was a woman who kind of looked like Tina Fey dressed in what looked like black nurse's scrubs who alternated between guitar, synth, and tambourine. Their other singer was a balding guy with a beard and a banjo. I assumed they were some sort of novelty band that was just goofing off. But then when I listened more closely I realized they were not that in any way. Their songs were filled with emotion and were very well-written and they were being performed pretty well too. (Is that passive voice killing you? Well suck it.) This is the kind of music that can make you want to move and sing along at once. Or you can lie down in a quiet room and enjoy it just as much.

I can't help but get a nostalgic feel from this album. You don't have to look farther than song titles such as "Winter '04" or "My Roots Go Down" to think that there's something these three are reminiscing about. Plus it's called Count the Days so there's already the theme of time there. When I listen to it I feel at ease, as if I'm experiencing something familiar that I've experienced before. All from an original sound I've never heard anywhere else.


Stream/Buy
Download
Official Site | MySpace | last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment