Monday, December 13, 2010

The LPC Staff's Top Ten of 2010: A-Gorm

I need to stop neglecting this site. Apologies, again.
1. Devo - Something For Everybody
This album really took me by surprise. I enjoyed a lot of Devo’s classics, and when I decided to Something For Everybody a shot I immediately became entranced. The whole album is incredibly well done, original, and the lyrics are incredibly catchy. Devo’s first release in 20 years sounds just as good as their older work. I can’t get enough of this album.

2. Kanye West - My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy
Kanye West keeps displaying why he is one of the best rappers out there with MDBTF. The album has the beats that Kanye is known for, as well as some big named featured artists like Bon Iver, Jay-Z, Kid Cudi, and John Legend. Kanye West is almost like David Bowie in a way, each of his albums seems to completely distinguish themselves from one another.

3. Vampire Weekend – Contra
Vampire Weekend’s sophomore album is very laid back and easy to listen to, with catchy songs like Cousins and Giving Up The Gun. Contra is an all-around solid album; as a matter of fact it was my most played album of the year for 2010.

4. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
I saw Deerhunter open up at a concert a few years back, and have been a huge fan of them since. Halcyon Digest is a bit on the experimental side, but great nonetheless.

5. The National - High Violet
The National’s first album since 2007 debuted to wide critical praise, the album itself is pretty melancholy. I found this album to be very well done and enjoyable.

6. Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz
I didn’t know what to expect going into my first listen of Age of Adz because I had not listened to Sufjan’s older work before. The album is very relaxing to listen to, some of the songs almost sound like they could be church hymns. I put it on while studying and found that it helped keep me calm.

7. The Black Keys – Brothers
Brothers is a very gritty, bluesy rock type album with a couple of songs that I absolutely love. “Howlin’ For You” was my personal favorite; I was surprised to hear it in Entourage and NHL 11. I absolutely love the use of the kazoo in the song’s background.

8. Childish Gambino – Culdesac
I did a write up of this album in the summer. Culdesac is an album that deals with pretty serious topics, but it feels very fresh and sincere. Childish Gambino uses a lot of different metaphors and is very clever in the way that he delivers his raps, he mixes humor and seriousness very well in this album.

9. Frightened Rabbit - The Winter of Mixed Drinks
I listened to this album on a recommendation from my friend and actually enjoyed it, even though I was told that it wasn’t one of Frightened Rabbit’s better releases. Scott Hutchinson, vocalist and guitarist for the band, said that the album is a type of “storytelling album”, and that the lyrics often deal with some of life’s heavy issues.

10. Jimmy Eat World – Invented
Invented did not get amazing reviews from the critics, but I thought that it was a pretty solid album nonetheless. There are some typical catchy Jimmy Eat World songs on here, but a solid chunk of the album failed to stand out, which hurt the album in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment