Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Bitters - East General (2010)



To be honest, I don't know all that much about The Bitters. Before I checked this out, all I knew about them was that they were a lo-fi band and they released an EP in late 2009 that I kind of liked. I didn't think they were all that popular, so it was kind of surprising to see their new album, East General, on gorillavsbear's top albums of 2010 so far.

After listening to the album, I figured out what the fuss is about; this may be the one lo-fi band who really knows what they're doing with recording/writing. They're not setting out to make really quick two-minute tracks. There isn't a single track on this album below three minutes long and the closer is nearly seven. They know the anatomy of a good instrumental and lay some nice vocals on top of it. And, to top it off, they've released two of the best tracks to see daylight in 2010 on "East" (which I believe was on their '09 single) and "Travelin' Girl".

Aerin Fogel and Ben Cook have quietly released one of the most complete albums of 2010. The only really disagreeable track there is on the album is "Bitters Bust", and all you have to do is skip over that to get to "Travelin' Girl". Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment