Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ludo - You're Awful, I Love You (2008)

St. Louis, Missouri pop punk quintet Ludo are unlike any other band I had ever heard. After seeing them perform at a show with Relient k, I purchased this CD. The only song I really heard from them before purchasing the CD was Love Me Dead.

A song about man wishing to hollow out his girlfriends body and use it as his coffin when he shall perish. Ludo's lyrics are very dark but done in a way that makes them ridiculously catchy. Here are a few lyrics so you can get a taste of what goes inside the mind of lead singer and song writer Andrew Volpe.

Love Me Dead
----------------
She moves through moonbeams slowly
She knows just how to hold me.
And when her edges soften.
Her body is my coffin.

The Horror of Our Love
----------------------------
I'm a killer
Cold and wrathful
Silent sleeper
I've been inside your bedroom
I've murdered half the town
Left you love notes on their headstones
I'll fill the graveyards
Until I have you

As you can see their lyrics seem to have a dark vibe and yet the music is catchy and cheerful. It is a delicious combo and one I rather enjoy. You're Awful, I Love You was Ludo's major label debut with Island Records. This whole record is a gem for anyone who want a pop album full of dark lyrics yet upbeat sounds.

Ludo as a band are a Diamond in the Rough. I wish them the best with their fourth album due out this fall, Prepare The Preparations and expect me to review that album on LPC as well.

TRACK LISTING
--------------
1. Love Me Dead- 4:20
2. Drunken Lament- 3:09
3. Please- 3:18
4. Topeka- 3:04
5. Lake Pontchartrain- 3:36
6. Such As It Ends- 3:25
7. Mutiny Below- 3:40
8. Streetlights- 4:18
9. Go-Getter Greg- 3:12
10. The Horror Of Our Love- 4:28
11. Scream, Scream, Scream- 3:52
12. In Space- 3:57
13. The Boat Song (Hidden Track)- 2:52





No comments:

Post a Comment