Thursday, July 22, 2010

Foxy Shazam- Introducing (2008)

Deep in the city of Cincinnati is a band by the name of Foxy Shazam. If you're curious what Foxy Shazam means, it means "Cool Shoes" according to lead singer Eric Nally who discovered the phrase from a student while in high school. Foxy Shazam's biggest moment as a band had to be when their song Unstoppable was used in Super Bowl XLIV this year. But I'm not here to talk about the current Foxy Shazam album. I'm here to talk about their follow up album to the fan favorite The Flamingo Trigger. Introducing was Foxy Shazam's second album and in this album Foxy introduces themselves to the world and in this album we discover what Foxy Shazam is all about.

What we discover is that Foxy is a band full of energy and insanity from Eric Nally's screaming vocals to straight up madness, Introducing truly is a delight. Introducing combines so many different elements of music from pop to rock to alternative rock to piano rock. There is literally a song called Yes!, Yes!, Yes! where Nally delivers these lyrics " I can't control my feet, I feel like moving". This line along with the piano infuse a sensation of uncontrollable madness. And that's not even scratching the surface. In the opening track Introducing Foxy. Nally repeats the line "I wish I was black, I wish I was black, I wanna be black" You just sit there baffled by how random the line is and yet it fits the band perfectly.

Introducing is an album that literally makes no sense and yet it makes a lot of sense. Every song is catchy and different. Some are straight up rock songs, some are pop songs, some are piano infused ballads. Introducing is a jambalaya of genres and madness. Eric Nally is basically Freddy Mercury re imagined from the mustache on his face to the lyrics he sings. Foxy Shazam truly are one of the most unique and energetic bands on the scene right now. If you want to give them a try, I suggest you seek out this album like I did.

Track Listing
----------------
1. "Introducing Foxy"- 3:18
2. "The Rocketeer" - 2:49
3. "A Dangerous Man"- 3:06
4. "The Science of Love" 3:04
5. "A Black Man's Breakfast"-3:30
6. "It's Hair Smelled Like Bonfire"-2:41
7. "Red Cape Diver" - 4:17
8. "Yes! Yes! Yes!" - 2:55
9. "Ghost Animals"- 3:28
10. "Cool"- 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment