Friday, July 2, 2010

Oneohtrix Point Never - Zones Without People (2009)



It seems to me like Daniel Lopatin, the one-man force behind Oneohtrix Point Never (pronounced: own-e-oh-tricks), would be an excellent poster boy for hypnosis. The first track on Zones Without People, "Computer Vision", pulls you into an excellent lull of arpeggiated chords over its two-minute span. The next track, "Format and Journey North", sets into a nine-minute long drone-type song, using (what I believe to be) more arpeggiation throughout the song.

The entire album is very good, and it's a short and sweet album, clocking in at just 31 minutes. Lopatin released this album on a compilation entitled Rifts, which has this album, Russian Mind, and Betrayed in the Octagon; some parts of the compilation has tracks dating back as far as 2003. Lopatin has quickly been gaining attention in the music world with his latest album, Returnal. To me, though, this is probably his best pre-Returnal work. Worth repeated listens.

Try it
Not available to buy as of right now; check out the distributors listed
MySpace
Official website

3 comments:

  1. I have Returnal by him, pretty good. The first track being a noise song I kind of expected the rest to be the same, but turned out to be a pretty damn good Drone album.

    I'll have to check this one out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Pact Between Strangers is his best album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I still don't have that, I'll probably pick it up later today or sometime.

    ReplyDelete