Monday, August 16, 2010

Pylon - Chomp (1983)



I'll admit to it: I only checked this album out because I thought that was one of the most memorable covers I've seen. I knew nothing about the band or the fact that in the 80s, one of the most popular rock bands to ever exist, R.E.M., called Pylon "America's best band". Now, Pylon is known as one of the greatest underground bands of the 80s and at the forefront of the Athens, GA indie/pop movement.

They've been together three different times over 30+ years, from 1978-1983 to 1989-1991 (reformed to tour with R.E.M.) to 2004-now. The well-known venue in Athens, called the 40 Watt Club, got its name from a phrase the band used to describe the room lit by a single 40 watt light bulb.

If you're looking for a good 80s album, you've come to the right place.

Try it (apologies for Rapidshare link)
Buy it
Buy the re-release from 2009
Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment