Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sufjan Stevens - All Delighted People (2010)

I'm admittedly not a very big fan of Sufjan Stevens. I love his voice but I hate how his albums end up sounding long and drawn out. This led up to me not really picking up any of his albums post or even pre-Illinois. However I heard good things about this EP, and seeing as EP's are supposed to be short I decided to give this a shot.

Before I continue on, it's about an hour long, which is about the length of most albums. So those expecting a short, sweet collection of songs, prepare to be disappointed at that aspect of it. But behind it's considerable length, you realize that this is a really amazing EP, and it's probably the best I heard in years. Sufjan still has his beautiful voice, as you immediatly notice as your thrust into "All Delighted People", a track that had me singing along to it which is something I haven't done in a while. Enchanting Ghost has a more folk-ish feel to it, which is to be expected from Sufjan. But interestingly enough, this EP is has a lot more electronic than previous efforts but Sufjan "purists" will be happy to know that this isn't really common. You can hear only hear them prominently on the closing track "Djohariah" and "From The Mouth Of Gabriel". All in all, this is a great EP, and it's definetly one of the highlights for me this year.

Buy | Download | Last.fm

1 comment:

  1. I'll stuff your steven. ;\

    Seriously though I have yet to listen to any of his work, I probably should give Illinois a listen sometime. It has been sitting on my desktop forever.

    ReplyDelete