Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Track of the Day (Australian time zone version) - September 1st, 2010

Ahead =/= better.

I like this new idea. I like it a lot. I like it so much I'm gonna contribute.

Slowdive - Sing

Souvlaki is regarded as one of the crowning achievements of Shoegaze. A beautiful album from start to finish, perhaps the most beautiful and most mysterious song on the album is 'Sing'. The mystery comes from its lyrical interpretation, which is unclear due the fact that the lyrics themselves are unclear. Does Rachel chime 'Here comes my man' or 'hear you call my name'? Does that angelic voice wail 'And I know that he's gone away' or 'And I know that's it's not the way'? I'm sure if I listen to the song more (and I definitely will) that the actual lyrics will become clear. But the mystery adds to the beauty of this incredibly atmospheric song, in a way that's hard to describe. So hard that, well, I can't. What I can tell you is that it's beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment